Skip to main content

Why you shouldn't stress your child when it comes to handwriting

Image result for hand writing
Image via: Kidspot 

The easy no fuss way (that sometimes we forget), is to not stress ourselves or our child about their hand writing. Just give them time to practice it more.

At the end of Prep, we got called in for a parent interview. "Just thought you should know, I feel your son is struggling with hand writing."

We looked at what our son had written. He wrote two sentences using big words.

Afterwards we left and my husband said, "you know what, I looked at his writing and I thought it was really good."

I thought it was good to, considering he couldn't even write his name at the beginning of school.

However, I didn't ignore the advice. Instead, we practiced. He wrote every body Christmas cards and I did check the other kids Christmas cards, again similar writing then his.

Yet, we practiced, not too much but at least once or twice a week for about ten to twenty minutes and we stopped whenever he got tired from it.

When we practiced, I kept it light. I didn't stress him out about complaining how he wasn't good enough. No. I encouraged. I showed him where to improve the letters he needed and I congratulated on what letters were already great.

We went through the entire alphabet and I could see what letters needed practicing and what needed practicing using the lines. Using lines are a lot easier than not.

So when he started grade one and we had his first parent teacher interview, the question I asked was, "How was his handwriting?" The response: "He is doing really good with his handwriting."

Win!

So when my friend came to me in a panic because her daughter started in a new school and her teacher was saying how bad her handwriting was. Her daughter was very upset. I told her to sit down with her daughter. Show her love and support as you both do it together to rebuild her confidence.

Stress in children from school work should never be accepted at any level. So it's important that as parents we take their stress, do the activity with them and show them the improvement they are achieving. Because nobody can be great after one try, we need time to practice and over time, we will be great.

So if you're worried about something your child maybe behind in, instead of stressing yourself or your child, break it down into steps and practice.

A learning environment should be fun and supportive, giving the learner lots of time to practice. You have this great opportunity to be a one-on-one teacher for your child. Make it memorable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro and house rules

Image via: LearnAirbnb.com
I have been a writer for over 6 years and one subject that I have stayed away from writing is anything on parenting. As we all know there is no one way to parent and it's the same with teaching your children. There is no one way is the right way.
What I write about here is my experiences and my advice but I also want you to know that this is not the only way to help your child to learn, but do try it and if it works for you and your child, excellent but if not, it's good to keep experimenting and try other ways.
As a new Mum to the school system, I have found that a lot has changed since I went to school and I have spoken to many parents who say the same.
Such high expectations can really stress us parents out and can even stress the child. So I am hoping this blog will be a go to and you can read about potential ways to help your child improve. House rulesWhat I write about is not the only one true way.In addition, every school and even classes in …

Teach your child life skills

How you can teach your young child life skills Image via: Articles Web
Children love to learn about life, not everything has to be counting numbers or learning letters. Obviously adding this to activities is good too. Learning is fun!

What I love about life skills is you can teach your child something you love.

Baking For me it's not baking but for my husband it is! Our children love to help in the kitchen by pouring in already measured cups of ingredients and mixing it together! They will watch the entire process from start to end.

Painting I am creative, so for me, I love to paint. So painting with my children is lots of fun. We all have our own painting notepads to create our own pieces. While learning about mixing of colours, different techniques and just having fun! View my Get Creative blog here for some ideas.

Business My husband owns a business so my children are learning through observation about customers, pallets, deliveries, nuts and bolts, fixing tools and a wide range…